With summer almost upon us, and the festive season about to crank up, it's that time of year when healthy eating habits fly out the window, and oh so many of us end up on the other side of Christmas needing to seriously reboot our diets.
The festive season is like a slippery slope! One party, leads to another BBQ, and then a dinner out…in no time at all there is nothing healthy on our plates. With a few nuggets of wisdom it IS possible to enjoy the season and keep to a healthy lifestyle.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Plan around your social engagements. If you know you are going out for a big dinner, fill up during the day on healthy meals, and don't skip meals 'to make room'.
2. Eat a healthy snack before you go out. Depending on your usual diet this could be a small salad with a bit of protein, or a fresh dip with veggie sticks, a handful of nuts, or even cheese and crackers.
3. If you are asked to bring a plate, offer to bring a beautiful large fresh salad, or perhaps a healthy dessert option. Fresh salads, both sweet and savoury, can be so beautiful to the eye, you'll find no one can resist!
4. Check out online menus prior to your function, so you have time to make healthy decisions before you arrive on the night.
5. When some good soul offers you food you prefer not to eat, reply 'later'. Most times they will forget, and you will also be saved from having to explain your food preferences.
6. Ring ahead if you have any dietary issues to make sure there are plenty of options for you to choose from. If your diet is quite restrictive, it's also a good idea to pack some small items in your handbag just in case.
7. Take each day as it comes. Don't regret your choices, just remember to start each day fresh.